Fire Prevention Bureau
The Fire Prevention Bureau is staffed by State of Georgia Certified Fire Safety Inspectors and Educators who are also State of Georgia Certified Firefighters.
The Fire Prevention Bureau staff has completed training and received certification in the National Fire Protection Association’s Life Safety Code, and continues to attend regular training sessions in order to stay up to date on changes in fire prevention codes and standards. All Fire Prevention Bureau Inspectors are members of the Georgia Fire Inspectors Association. The Fire Prevention Bureau staff provides comprehensive inspection and code enforcement of the National Fire Protection Association Codes, International Fire Code, and the Georgia Accessibility Code, as well as the Douglas County Code of Ordinances.
The Fire Prevention Bureau provides a number of inspection and code enforcement services to the citizens of unincorporated Douglas County, the City of Douglasville, and the portion of the City of Villa Rica which lies within the topographical boundaries of Douglas County, including, but not limited to:
- Annual inspection for code compliance of all commercial and public buildings, including schools, churches, restaurants, retail establishments, nursing homes, daycare centers, hotels, multi-family dwelling units, etc.
- Consultation with new business owners and new occupants of commercial structures to insure that all fire and life safety requirements are addressed and maintained
- Coordination of efforts with State Fire Marshal’s office for plan review, new construction inspections and annual inspection of facilities which fall under the jurisdiction of the State Fire Marshal’s office
- Fire Drills and evacuation planning for public and commercial occupancies
- Fire Extinguisher training for public and commercial occupancies
- Inspection of new installation of fuel tanks
- Issuance of blasting permits
- Issuance of permits for and inspections of commercial burn pits
- Plan review and construction inspections of all new commercial and public buildings
- Plan review and inspection of all new residential developments for compliance with rate of flow requirements and placement of fire hydrants to provide adequate fire protection to residents
- Special event emergency action planning
The Fire Prevention Bureau is also responsible for Fire and Life Safety Education in Douglas County. It is the goal of the Fire Prevention Bureau to deliver fire and life safety education to the citizens of Douglas County on a regular and ongoing basis.
Services and programs are available to all citizens of Douglas County through regularly scheduled community-wide events, including County Government Week; September Saturdays Festival; and Fire Prevention Week; as well as special programs to schools, childcare facilities, senior adult facilities and civic organizations; fire station tours, Fire Safety House training, and other programs.
Programs available include the following:
- Crawl Low Under Smoke
- Exit Drills In The Home (EDITH)
- Fire Safety House Demonstrations
- Fire Station Tours
- Friendly Firefighter
- Juvenile Firesetter Intervention Program
- Senior Adult Safety
- Stop, Drop and Roll
The Fire Prevention Bureau, in conjunction with dctv23, will provide monthly fire and life safety education spots on dctv23 and the county website.
Plan an Event
Organizations interested in obtaining a speaker for a meeting or special event, or who wish to schedule a station tour, may contact us at 770-920-7484. Please contact us a minimum of 10 days prior to your event, so that we may schedule any necessary station apparatus and equipment to be available. Please bear in mind that we are a working, emergency response agency, and as such, equipment scheduled to be available for an education program is subject to call out on emergency calls at any time prior to or during the event.