Building Permits & Inspections
Issued permits are for Building New or Remodel, HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning), Plumbing (including lawn irrigation systems) and Electrical work (including low voltage/security systems). Vinyl Siding is no longer allowed on New Single Family Dwellings.
Inspections may be scheduled via a voicemail system at 770-920-7333, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 9 am to 5 pm.
Residential Building Permit Instructions in Spanish
Las instrucciones del permiso de edificio residencial estan dispenibles ahora en espanol. Usted puede tomar uno en el contador delantero en el departmento de servicios del desarrollo.
Yard Sale Permits
For yard sale permits, please call Cindy Lanham at 770-920-7468.
Land Disturbance Certification
The state is requiring that all people involved in land disturbance have a certification. For information on the certification process please refer to the Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission website.
As of January 2nd, 2020 the Douglas County Board of Commissioners has adopted the following changes to the International Code Council codes and amendments to the State Minimum Standard Codes:
- 2008 National Green Building Standard (NGBS) with 2011 Amendments
- 2015 Edition of the International Property Maintenance Code
- 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) with 2020 Supplements & Amendments
- 2017 Edition of the National Electrical Code
- 2018 International Building Code (IBC) with 2020 Amendments
- 2018 International Fire Code (IFC)
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) with 2020 Amendments
- 2018 International Green Construction Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC) with 2020 Amendments
- 2018 International Performance Code for Buildings and Facilities
- 2018 International Plumbing Code (IPC) with 2020 Amendments
- 2018 International Residential Code (IRC) for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, with 2020 Amendments
- 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa
Building Inspection Phone Line
The hours of the Building Department’s Inspection Line (770-920-7333) are Monday through Friday from 9 am to 5 pm Please take advantage of the 24-hour on line permitting and inspection request system through the Builder’s Radius Subscription Service.
Builders must have your State Contractor’s license, Business license and driver’s license in order to obtain a building permit from our department. If you have a qualifying agent that will obtain your permits, they must also provide their Qualifying Agent card, driver’s license and an affidavit with the specific property information, proper signatures and notarized in order to obtain a building permit.
If you have any questions, please contact the Building Department at 770-920-7201. You may also contact Builder’s Radius directly at 888-592-5336.
The Building Department will be closed on the following business days:
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday November 26th
- Day After Thanksgiving - Friday November 27th
- Christmas Eve - Thursday December 24th
- Christmas Day - Friday December 25th
- New Year's Day - Friday, January 1st
- M.L. King, Jr. Birthday - Monday, January 18th
- Good Friday - Friday, April 2nd
- Memorial Day - Monday, May 31st
- Independence Day - Monday, July 5th
- Labor Day - Monday, September 6th
- Veterans Day - Thursday, November 11th
- Thanksgiving Day - Thursday November 25th
- Day After Thanksgiving - Friday November 26th
- Christmas Eve - Thursday December 23rd
- Christmas Day - Friday December 24th